13 August 2009

I Love George Nelson Lighting...

as much as the average designer/wife of an architect, I do, it's true.

But...

...the trouble is, many of the design-y lights and furniture components I like have well, jumped the shark. It's not that I need our house to be Dwell ready, it just so happens I like most of the stuff other designers/architects appoint their recently renovated with. My tastes are aligned with my designer lot, perhaps save my love of the hot pink flocked Jesus bank I refuse to give away. It's a statement piece. Really. Someday I'll figure out how to make it work with a Saarinen Womb Chair (chartreuse please!)

So here's the current dilemma. We need lighting that meets our LEED goals, it needs to marry our champagne tastes with our organic grain fed bratwurst budget AND it can't scream DESIGNER AND ARCHITECT LIVE HERE.

Where we stand.

We've made tons of progress on the monster pile of boxes. You can actually stand in the living room and shoot the dining room, kitchen and remaining boxes. It's progress people. Look beyond the piles of "real life", i.e. piles of crap, and you can see where I'm focusing my lighting search. There are two areas to be addressed: above the dining table (I'm crazy about chandeliers) and something simple in the kitchen above the sink and window that will coordinate (or not) with the two vintage globe lights I scored on ebay for a peanut.

See highly informative photo below.





Here are some ideas I've had rolling around:

For above the sink, this Punga Pendant is pretty sweet

Design by Christopher Metcalfe.

The Punga lights are inspired by the native palm tree which grows prolifically in the New Zealand rainforest. Hug that!






This blown glass number is lovely but pricey.

The Class 40 Pendant Light








And then there's this decidedly whimsical little charmer. (Probably too "cute")

The Perch! Early Bird Pendant Light.







Thoughts? Ok, again, those are initial looks for above the sink. Not really a big deal, but it should be thoughtful.

Now, let's get serious. The dining room is one of the money shots. Look again at the photo, imagine no boxes, no "real life" on the table and maybe a new dining table in the future. Warmth and not too serious are still criteria. Here are a few ideas:

Classic Atomic Sputnik





Lighted balls. On a string. (giggle if you must)
Anthropologie of all places.






Design-y and spendy, but the wood would be oh so nice and warm to combat the coolness of the CFL's (compact fluorescent lamps).

Helios 60 Wood Pendant Light







Really dreamy. Really. If it fell into my possession I would gladly hang it up.

The Mod 2097 Chandelier








But to be honest, this next one is the running favorite. The price is very accessible and the design not too fussy with a bit of humor to it.

The Patrick Townsend White Orbit Chandelier










What do you think?? I'd love some comments or suggestions of other lights to ponder.

2 comments:

tessarh said...

i love the last chandelier also. go with your gut!

Anonymous said...

http://www.gnr8.biz/product_info.php?products_id=44

This is one of my favorites. You can use the glasses during parties creating a design that changes whenever you throw a party.